Saturday, April 17, 2010

Maudlow

Schoolhouse, Maudlow, MT.


Playground.


Main entry, as seen from the classroom on the first floor.


Self explanatory.


Heater and interior, second floor.


Window latch, rusting away into colorful oblivion.


Supply shelves.


Textbooks. There were many more strewn about the floor, along with play money and other assorted elementary school detritus.


Art supplies.


Gas pump in front of one of the larger houses. I am unsure if it was once functional, or simply placed there as a yard ornament.


Door into one of the side rooms of one of the larger houses.


One of the smaller houses.


Curtains and an empty room inside the house above.


The town's last resident.


Inside the bathroom.

All Images © 2010 Declan J. Dillon
Please do not use/reproduce without my explicit, written permission.


I stumbled upon this decrepit town completely by accident while out wandering around some dirt roads north of Belgrade. As many of my friends know, once I start down an unfamiliar road, I won't turn back until I'm forced to (which can make for some "exciting" day trips). Thus was the case a number of weeks ago when I became bored with Bozeman, got in the car and started cruising around. I ended up driving through the center of Belgrade and meandering down Dry Creek road until I saw dirt road off to the side (my thought process is generally dirt+corners=fun). True to my typical form, I turned off and followed that road for a while until it eventually spat me out in Maudlow.

I ended up poking around the town for a short while, then going inside one of the smaller abandoned houses. The ceiling was caving in, and the whole place just seemed creepy. The dead cat resting on a chair, staring me down with dark recesses that were once eyes, just may have contributed to the aura of creepiness. I left right about then.

The town managed to capture my interest and hold on to it. I spent a few hours online researching it (which amounted to next to nothing) and looking at maps of it and the surrounding area. Apparently, it was a stop on the Milwaukee Railroad up until the early 1980's when the railroad shut down. One can assume that most of the residents and their children relocated to Belgrade for jobs and schooling, leaving nothing but a few ranchers and a number of buildings behind. At the present, I believe there are two or three operational ranches in the area, but the town itself is all but completely deserted.

I returned a few days after conducting my research. This time, I wandered around and examined the structures for a bit longer, but was ultimately forced to leave by a nasty snowstorm (typical Montana weather; bright and sunny one minute, torrential blizzard the next). I was now extremely interested in the town, and knew that I had to explore its full capacity. However, I was also more aware of the sheer spookiness of the place.

Today, I went back with two assets to ward off the weird: friends and firearms. We were able to explore most of the town, and a decent proportion of its structures. There were some structures, however, that we did not dare approach. The '70's style double-wide with a newish satellite TV antenna on top, the house with gnarly campers next to it and a fan blowing inside, the rand up the road from the school, and finally, the house that stank of skunk were all avoided. As much as I would love to explore them, I can't help but shake the feeling that they are still inhabited, potentially by hillbillies from Deliverance. If I ever hear a banjo while out exploring remote ghost towns, I'll break the land speed record getting the heck away.

On the topic of people, strangely enough, the day we visited happened to be the day when everyone and their brother decided to drive through Maudlow. Until this point, I had yet to see anyone in or around the town. What added to the oddness of the "heavy" traffic (a whopping six cars, but still quite unusual for somewhere 30 miles out in the middle of nowhere), was the fact that all of the roads roads out, save for the one we came in on, were blocked by diabolical truck-eating snow drifts and their compatriots, the mud pits. We discovered this when we became involved in a little tussle with a few of them after driving 14 miles out of Maudlow in an attempt to explore more ghost towns. This tussle involved some full-throttle mud bogging and the use of 4-low, but ultimately we were able to turn around and get back home unscathed. Despite the snow, mud, traffic, and potentially realistic threat of dormant residents, I still find myself wanting to return to Maudlow. I could even make it all the way through to Ringling this summer when the roads are clear...

31 comments:

  1. You and my dad (Claire's grandfather). I grew up exploring ghost towns (every weekend he was off--(M.D.)). Better just call him. He'll get you the goop on any MT ghosttown and probably will want to go exploring with you. He isn't afraid of shit and loves people,guns and photography. Love the pics--esp the door ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Claire keeps telling me about him...I wish I was staying in MT for the summer. Glad you like the pics, I can't wait to go back there and take more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Maudlow. The gas pump is in front of the old post office that was run by Luella Brainard, and yes the pump actually worked.
    The picture titled 'One of the Smaller Houses' was owned by the railroad and was used for housing a permanent RR employee and his family. The RR used to park Work Trains on the side rails in town every summer to house the work crews and thier familys. I remember the year one of the box cars caught on fire and they had to drag it past the cynamite car to get it moved out and prevent the rest of the cars from burning. Needless to say that was an exciting night!!! I still have pictures of the burning car, during and after! The sawmill was located about 3 miles on down the road toward Ringling as well as a trailer court. 1st through 4th grade children attended school at Maudlow and 5th through 12th were bused to school in Manhattan. I believe the sawmill went up in 1965 and Pack River Lumber completed the demolition about 1974 or 75 after closing the mill.
    I hope the house that stank of skunk was not ours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband worked running the de-barker at the mill shortly after we were married,so that was in 1967 or 1968. I think it burned closer to 1970 or so.

      Delete
  4. I lived in the trailer park at the sawmill. My Dad was the manager there. I went to Maudlow school fourth, fifth and part of sixth. I was then bused into Manhattan. I loved going to school there. We had a recess once, so that our teacher could help deliver a breach calf across the street with Luella Brainard. Our field trips consisted of hiking up the hills there. It was a wonderful place to live. The water in the school was sulfer water. It was hard to drink, but we had the assurance that it would make us healthy. There used to be a maypole in the playground area. You would hold on to the handles and run and swing around the pole. We loved playing on it until someone fell and broke her leg. It was then chained up and eventually removed. Upstairs we had class plays and parties. We used to play the Beatles on Victrolas' that we had to crank. Our desks had ink wells in them and a drawer under the seat. We could cook soup in the teacher apartment on cold days. There were so many great memories being made there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the claytons.

      Delete
    2. Yes I remember the Claytons, I lived in th eupper trailer court and my mother worked in the mill.

      Delete
    3. I love hearing old stories of growing up in small little country schools..I grew up in Paradise, Montana in the 50's and 60's...The Rail road was a thriving business at that time..Families would move in for part of the year and men worked on the railroad and they were called gandy dancers..My Mother would take a freshly baked pie or cake to anyone that moved in..With the railroad along came the hobos who always made a path to our doorstep..They were harmless, but always knew that they could get a sack lunch..I have so many great memories of these small Railroad towns that are now just a ghost town

      Delete
  5. My uncle worked at the sawmill in Maudlow as a lumber grader. He suffered a heart attack in 1966 and was taken to Bozeman, I believe, where he subsequently died.

    I wonder if there's any evidence of where the sawmill was located?

    Jim in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, my name is Mike. I have been to Maudlow and was very impressed. I am a metal detectorist and have always wanted to detect the site. If you know the owner and how I may contact them I would really appreciate it. I do not harm the sites and you can't even tell I was there. My email is mikeraydj@aol.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that shows a mills was there is a big meadow where the mill, burner and log decks were

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have relations that went to school here they brought me up to see maudlow one of my cousins lived in a ranch down the road . my mom used to dance at the road house there ready to fall. my uncle was killed at the grainery by a train and his wife run the post office behind the grainery and lived in the small house connected to it. and some of my relatives are buried in dry creek cemetery.some went to school in a little house where cows now live. it is a nice area but heard lots of snakes also live there

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Uncle Clarence White lived there and lost his life there while walking down the railroad tracks and was hit by a train - Want to say accident occurred in 1939 - My dad Earl White was born in Sixteen in 1906

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sad my uncle worked at the first mt elevator crossed a caboose broke loose caught uncle forest sellars in the 60*s his wife ran the post office behind it my relations sam Kelly wife and girl jewel buried in dry creek and my dad was bridge builder from butte to maudlow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, just so you're aware - you were trespassing when taking these pictures. Maudlow is privately owned and my family owns the land on the other side of Sixteen Mile Creek from the town. We will not hesitate to prosecute when we see trespassers, so just be respectful of private land when exploring out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any advice on who to contact to gain access to the old schoolhouse. As mentioned above, many of us are historians who want to see and report how things were. We are not interested in trespassing, stealing, or vandalizing. While trying to "protect" your town, you are basically letting the whole history fall into oblivion.

      Delete
    2. It was so much fun taking my young sons up there today. Very glad we didn’t run into Anonymous cus you really sound miserable.

      Delete
  12. Well, the last commentor sure ended this walk down memory lane.
    These small pieces of Montana history disappear so fast and little is recorded about its people and past.
    If your family owns this property why not invite our intrepid historian to record what's left of its bones for posterity instead of threatening to prosecute. I saw no evidence of being disrespectful but rather a curious young man who wishes small towns like Maudlow be remembered instead of silently fading into the past.
    Open your arms to preserving the story of Maudlow instead of being the last negative voice that threatens to prosecute should anyone dare to fall in love with this town.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly, Maudlow has become synonymous with this rudeness. On my last visit to Maudlow I was approached by a couple who, while not owning the property where we parked, wanted to make sure that we were aware not to trespass. We were told that there were no more buildings than what we could see right where we parked and got the whole trespassing lecture. As we found out later, there were other buildings that could have been seen from the road but the residents wanted us to leave...actually telling us that we were not allowed to park along side the road. If you read any blog about Maudlow, the beauty of the place and the history is marred by the threatening intrusion of these two people who make sure that no one is able to enjoy this abandoned and forgotten town. Shame on them for failing to embrace this historic little town that is rotting into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am familiar with Maudlow as my grandpa lived there and my some of my aunts were born there. My great grandfather homesteaded about 5 miles south of Maudlow. Talking about hillbillies, our family was considered hillbillies but no one played a banjo. My great grand father and his brothers homesteaded there in 1888. One of his brothers talked them into moving out from Iowa. That brother worked for the Milwaukee RR. When I first remember going to Maudlow, I was about 5 and my grandpa lived in a shack just over the hill by the RR tracks. I think the shack was a box car. Then later, grandpa bought the general store and mad it his home. He owned the land on the right side of the road from the general store past the bridge and on, I am not sure how much was his land went. The winters started getting to much for him so he moved about a mile out on Manhattan on Dry Creek Rd. Our last name is Callantine and there are still some of the family that live out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am restoring the general store,do you have any pics of the front? I want to resurrect the sign on the false front.

      Delete
  15. I have pictures of Maudlow from 1911. My Grandmother taught school there from 1912 to 1913 as well as 3 months of summer school in Ballard. Also have pictures of Hugh Biggs and another family by the name of Deeny from Maudlow 1912. In the pictures the town looks pretty new. 1909 is on the school house. Hawkeys (?) Elev. Co Lumber Grain is printed on one of the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read the posts, specifically the ones regarding trespassing and historic preservation. I own the old mercantile and post office building and welcome anyone who would like to photo or stroll through with permission first please. I am in the process of restoring the building the best I can so I may throw you a hammer. Yes, there are people down the creek who, well in short, are not very pleasant...conveying their disposition very mildly. Conversely, I welcome visitors, so stop by and chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So I grew up in Bozeman and I have always had a fascination with Montana history, especially old buildings like the ones in Maudlow. My mom and I actually did the drive from Ringling to Maudlow today! We took lots of pictures in Maudlow but didn't trespass. However, I would really love the opportunity to chat with you about the history and maybe see inside the buildings you own? My car won't be able to handle the roads once the snow hits unfortunately, but maybe we could arrange a time for me to come out there before sometime soon! My phone number is 406-312-3481!

      Delete
    2. Also, do you know who actually owns the school building? I think it is just beautiful and I would love to go inside with permission. I really hope it's not the rude couple that people have mentioned...

      Delete
    3. I would love to get in touch about seeing the post office!!

      Delete
  17. Anyone know about this place being haunted??? What's the story? Why was the place abondoned?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My name is Stan Callantine and my family roots are all over Maudlow and the country side there. We had a family reunion out at Pass Creek Recreation Hall last week end. I only have three aunts left that are alive and I took one out to Maudlow because she went to school there until the 8th grade, after that she had to catch a bus down at the fork where the road splits about 10 miles south. She then finished high school in Manhattan. This week end is her 60th class reunion there. She remembered so much as she grew up at Maudlow. The first house to the left as you enter Maudlow was where my great grandmother had a heart attack and died. They used to have a homestead 5 mile south of Maudlow as well. The next place is just a roof left and it used to be a black smith shop. then one of the Brainards had the next house but there is nothing there now. My Aunt knew who lived in the house just below the hill from the school but I forgot who she said it was. Across the street to the right as you come into town is a two story hotel and it is still there. Another Aunt of mine's mother used to own it. The next place that is still standing is where my grand father made the general store and post office his home. He remodeled the inside some. There is what is left of a old barn next and that was my grandpa's also. He owned about 8 acre up stream on the right hand side. I think one of the Brainard grand kids own that now and they have a camp trailer there. I hope that helps you all out some. My great grandfather was Thomas Taylor Callantine, my grand father was Claude Callantine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stan, how are you related to Ethel? My mom went to school in Maudlow with Ethel for two years, 3rd and 4th grade (1942-44). Mom, her brother and mother lived the first school year in the back of the general store/post office and the second year in the hotel. Mom (Mildred Hale) hopes to get back in touch with Ethel. Mom's mother, "Mrs. Hale" was the teacher in Maudlow for that '43-'44 school year. Mom remembers Brainards and both Ethel and her brother Jim. We were kind of hoping to make a foray up to Maudlow and walk west on the railroad path to try to find her grandparents' homestead site, but we won't be able to do so. Two years ago we tried to find it from the western approach but were unable to go much past the old schoolhouse museum at Cardinal on one of the big ranches. Just getting that far was a treat; at least we saw the spot where Mom's parents lived with her for a few years. Thanks for sharing the history your aunt shared. I'm glad you got to take her back to Maudlow.

      Delete
    2. I lived in th eupper trailer court for 4 years 68 - 72. My mother was the 1st lady lumber grader in Montana. In the winter we would stand in the ash in the burner with other kids. Rode the bus to Manhattan for school. 32 stops I thing. Fished and hunted there and as a boy really enjoyed it. Have life long friends from there.

      Delete