Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Junkyards and Yard Cars

Old Dodge and abandoned houses, Marysville, MT.

Unkown Kit Car, next to someone's trailer, York, MT.

1939 Chevy, junkyard, Four Corners, MT.

Methlab-tastic Dodge Commander RV, someone's yard, Saratoga, CA.



All Images © 2010 Declan J. Dillon.
Please do not use/reproduce without my explicit, written permission.



The word junkyard is a misnomer, because junkyards are not actually full of junk. They are full of photographic gold: beautiful patinas, artifacts from past existences, juxtapositions, contrast of purpose. Montana's junkyards are the best I've ever stumbled through. However, your average yards in Montana are more than sufficient; it would appear that nearly all of them, especially the rural ones, contain some sort of long-dead vehicle or piece of farm equipment. I don't believe anyone has ever sold a car here. Whenever one ceases to function (by virtue of severe mechanical failure or severe cash-flow failure) it would appear that it is parked on some unused corner of the property. By no means is this a crack at Montanans, or anyone else with yard cars. I love them. Please, by all means, continue to park worn out, old machinery in your yards, and continue to provide me with things to photograph.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even like cars and think these pics are very, very cool. Tell me, do you ever run into any Montana junkyard dogs on your midnight excursions for photos? Ya, Montana is great for rusty yard art....and the occasional Greek woman. Doncha think?

    I am liking this blog. Keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. No dogs yet, but a farmer just the other day. He rode up on an ATV with his dog and gun. I talked to him for about an hour. Friendliest guy I've ever met while trespassing haha.

    Oh and yes, perfect for the Greek woman.

    ReplyDelete