Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Abandoned





All Images © 2010 Declan J. Dillon. All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use/reproduce without my explicit, written permission.



We exist to consume. We spend most of our lives eating, studying, and working, all so that we can continue to eat, study, and work, and eventually produce more who eat, study, and work. Our society is centered on consumption. What we do not realize, however, is how much we discard. We constantly cast away vast quantities of literature, playthings, technology, dwellings, transportation, and even people.

I am not here to critique society, but my opinions will, inevitably, affect what I express. However, I have little desire to comment on society, so I'll leave that to the philosophers. I am here because I take great interest in what society throws away. Trash provides phenomenal insights into the character of those who discarded it. It also makes for some rather interesting pictures.

3 comments: